Some people think that time flies, and some people think it moves slowly. Personally, I can see both. My final college semester flew by, but January 2010 seems like 5 years ago. I thought it might be kind of fun to think back over the last 12 months and see how much my life has changed in just a year. Unlike my friend Kim, who can remember the first words she said to me when we met 4-1/2 years ago, I don’t have that great of a memory for stuff like this. That’s why I keep a journal and take pictures 🙂
- I started my last spring at Oklahoma Christian, worked as news editor on the Talon, and took 15 hours while doing Gamma Spring Sing and working as a tour guide… needless to say, it was a busy semester.
- We had our first snow day of the school year. Two whole days of playing in the snow. Actually that snow day changed our friend group forever. It’s funny how a weekend like that can change everything. However, amidst the fun, and OC student passed away, which affected the mood of the student body for the rest of the semester, too. Like I said, life changing weekend.
- Honestly, the only specific thing I remember from this month is working the Spring Sing ticket sales, which allowed me to get my tickets early! Score!
- I vaguely remember having a Valentine’s Day party, and also seeing the movie Valentine’s Day. I don’t think I took a picture during the whole month of February. Sorry about that.
- Spring Sing dominated the first week of March. Spring Sing is like Christmas, I love it so much! Gamma got second with our airline stewardess show, and Chi got first with Pinocchio.
- I went to San Antonio with Memorial Road’s college class for a mission trip. We helped with Habitat for Humanity for the second year in a row. Unfortunately I got sick during my stay and missed out on a lot of the fun. I was very glad to get back to Edmond!
- The Gamma Rho seniors went to Dallas for a weekend getaway. Ikea shopping trip!
- Gamma banquet happened, and we took a lot of pictures… in fact, the last attitude picture ever. Sad day.
- I finished up my semester and watched some of my closest friends graduate! Luckily several of my friends stayed close to Oklahoma City, so that made the parting much less painful.
- I spent the last eight hours of the month driving to Florida. That’s right, Florida. The second graduation was over, three of my best friends and I left for a cruise to the Bahamas. We faced tornados and extreme tiredness, but we made it. And it was worth every second.
- My first week in May was spent on a Carnival Cruise ship. Tiff, Laura, Karissa and I got some sun, snorkeled, made new friends, and ate. And ate. And then ate some more. This was a highlight of my last summer as a college student, and we are making it a tradition… we have to go on another cruise soon! CRUISE CONTROL FOR LIFE!
- I turned 22 on May 14, and there was a tornado on my birthday. Fun times.
- I watched Megan graduate from high school and Abby graduate from middle school! My girls are growing up!
- My mom and I went to see Wicked! (my second time, her third) with my cousin and her family. No one mourns the wicked.
- Hot-lanta was calling my name and I went east to sponsor a youth group mission trip in Georgia. I got to work with my roomie La at the Atlanta Inner-city Ministry. I met the loveliest family who knew some of my friends from Portland! And Abby, Katie and I caused mischief all week. It was awesome.
- Two words. Michael. Buble. Okay, I can’t limit it to just two words. Please go read this post for a full recap.
- I started taking a Zumba class somewhere around this time. Zumba is the light of my life. Zumba gives me a chance to wear my belly dancing skirt. I love Zumba.
- I spent Independence Day with the Giddens family, my mom, and a few of her friends.
- My Zumba instructor got injured and I helped teach classes for a week.
- Three of the cutest couples got engaged during the summer: Christy and Nick, Kayla and Scott, and Tim and Cara. Yay!
- My mom and I went on a two-week whirlwind adventure to California and back. I met family and friends along the way and saw a million beautiful things that I will always remember.
- I gambled in Vegas for the first (and last) time.
- My friend Tiffany got married to Reagan, and we celebrated her bachelorette party in Oklahoma City (followed by a viewing of Step Up 3D, of course).
- I found an internship for sustainable travel initiatives with Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department.
- I started my last semester in college rooming with Kim in a darling 1 bedroom apartment.
- We celebrated Laura’s 23rd birthday… and what a night it was. Legendary to say the least.
- We saw MC Hammer in concert at the State Fair, enjoyed all the fried food we could endure, and people watched. The State Fair = best people watching ever.
- Jason Mraz came to Searcy, AR, so Kim, La and I went to the concert. I got to see Megan and Cara, which makes for a pretty great weekend. We totally bonded with Cara’s dog Sawyer, too.
- Every Wednesday Kim, La, Karissa, Andy, Tiffany,Reagan and I would hang out, study, and have fasting challenges for the week. It only lasted a month, but it was still fun. And strange. Kind of like a cult actually. Hmmmm.
- We tailgated in Norman for the OU football games, and La and I made dresses for the OU vs. Air Force game!
- We had a girls weekend in Broken Bow! The cabin was beautiful, the foliage was perfect, and we had a lot of laughs along the way. A new tradition!
- My friend Deborah came to visit en route from Alaska to Europe, and we hung out in Norman… it was around this time that we started seriously looking for places to stay in Norman.
- I participated in homecoming. But I really didn’t do much. I just hung out with Ben when he came to town, which was awesome.
- I caught Bieber Fever with Abby and Erin.
- I celebrated Thanksgiving with my mom’s family.
- Christmas celebrations were in full swing all throughout the month: Lighting of the Commons, Cocoa and Carols, OU Holiday Lighting, etc.
- After 4.5 years, I graduated from Oklahoma Christian with a degree in public relations and advertising.
- I rented a cute two bedroom house in Norman with La! So much fun!
- My great uncle James passed away the day before graduation.
- I had Christmas with my dad’s family and some extended family who always make the party a little better.
- The Giddens girls and I watched 18 hours of The Office one night…. it might have been a poor decision, but we still had fun.
- I rang in the New Year at the Hobbes’ house with some of the most fun people you will ever meet! Even though our original plans changed, we still had a good time!
Now the year is over, and I am more than ready to start the newest phase of my life. Since I am getting a fresh start in a new city, I decided it was time to change the blog as well. From now on I will be blogging at kayleemcdaniel.blogspot.com, mostly because I could never figure out how to get cute themes on this blog. Yeah, I am judging myself for being so shallow. But head on over there in the next few days to see how much cuter it is!